Click here for a list of our registered dietitians
Steps to a Healthier You
HRMC registered dietitians (RDs) provide nutritional counseling to outpatient clients, inpatients and hospital staff. We are available for one-on-one private sessions, in-depth nutrition evaluations and individualized menu planning. HRMC's Nutritional Services department helps individuals manage disease through diet, leading to longer, healthier lives. Clients must obtain a physician prescription to participate in our Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) program.
What is a Registered Dietitian?
A registered dietitian is a food and nutrition expert who has earned the professional designation of RD from the Commission on Dietetic Registration. Registered dietitians must hold a bachelor's degree and complete continuing professional educational requirements to maintain the designation. A registered dietitian is your most credible, objective source of nutrition information.
What Can I Expect from Nutritional Counseling?
At HRMC, you will meet with outpatient dietitians in one of our private consultation rooms. The registered dietitian will work with you to examine your medical history, lab and test results and diet history to evaluate your current nutritional status. As part of your care, the dietitian completes a nutrition assessment and develops a personalized nutrition plan to accomplish your medical and/or weight loss goals. They will also monitor/evaluate your ongoing progress. The dietitian will help you develop meal planning and lifestyle techniques to help you improve your health or control an existing medical condition.
What Services Do Registered Dietitians Offer?
Below are some of the areas where registered dietitians can provide nutritional counseling and help individuals lead a healthier life. Registered dietitians are experts in the areas of:
- Cardiovascular Disease: RDs can provide guidance on managing hypertension, high cholesterol, dyslipidemia and congestive heart failure. Dietary approaches may include low-sodium or low-fat meal plans to help improve quality of life.
- Diabetes: Pre-diabetes, type 1 and type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes and hypoglycemia can be controlled with the help of RDs. By evaluating food intake, medications and lab results, the RD can help develop a lifestyle plan with the goal of maintaining glucose levels in a healthy range.
- Food Allergies/Intolerances: Counseling from RDs can help individuals coping with food allergies and intolerances. Treatment may include food diaries, modified exclusion diets and reintroduction of foods.
- Gastrointestinal Disorders: Many people can benefit from improving the symptoms of irritable bowel disease, diverticulosis, celiac disease, Crohn's disease and other intestinal disorders through proper nutrition. Diet considerations may include fiber, lactose, fat as well as pre- and probiotics.
- Kidney Disease: RDs are trained in the nutrition care of chronic as well as end-stage renal disease. Nutrition is an important factor in protecting the health of the kidneys through the proper selection of nutrients.
- Weight Management: For those with weight management issues, RDs can help clients who need assistance with gaining, maintaining or losing weight due to obesity, bariatric surgery or eating disorders. A comprehensive nutrition approach may include diet, physical activity and behavior therapy.
Will Insurance Cover Visits to a Registered Dietitian?
Most patients have some form of insurance coverage. Insurance plans usually require pre-authorization. In order to receive maximum benefits, please contact your health insurance representative to ensure all requirements are met.
Medicare patients are usually covered for the services of an RD for patients with diagnoses of diabetes and/or non-dialysis kidney disease. Our RDs are certified Medicare providers and our insurance department will work with you to verify coverage.
If you are covered by private insurance, many companies have policies which include visits to RDs. Our insurance department can help determine whether you are covered for the type of nutritional services you need. If the service you require is not covered, our billing department can work with you to help set up a payment schedule.
For more information or to make an appointment with a HRMC registered dietitian, please call (908) 441-1482.
Whether you have a specific objective, such as losing weight or reducing high blood pressure, or you're looking for overall ways to stay fit and healthy, a registered dietitian is the best source of timely, accurate and reliable information on eating well. A registered dietitian will give you the tools and knowledge you need to develop a personalized nutrition program.
Learn how to:
- make healthy nutritional lifestyle decisions
- understand food claims and labels
- eat to increase your total wellness
Enjoy a better quality of life and reduce healthcare costs by making the right decisions about food and exercise every day.
click here for a printable brochure